I rode my bike to school for the first time today, and it wasn't too bad. It took about an hour, but it didn't feel like a long time to me. The hardest part was navigating between people...because for some reason they just DON'T get out of the way. It's like they want me to crash into them. And they take up so much space on the sidewalk, too. It's really aggravating, to be honest. The other hard part was the one hill right before Meguro-eki (Meguro Station).
Of course, because of all that work out, I was starving for lunch, and ate the entire tray of food I bought (two smallish rice balls in some kind of sweet shell, and three California roll-like sushi). Usually I can eat half of it before I get full.
I think the most frustrating thing about my day was the fact that I was supposed to be interviewing three native Japanese speakers (name, age, year and major) for Wednesday, but I went the whole day without getting a single person. I'm not trying to be stupid about it, but you have no idea how intimidating it is when the group of people you're considering asking is sitting in a huge group, talking loudly in Japanese while they are all dressed to the nines and are laughing hysterically at something someone said. I'm sorry, but I feel less intimidated by the guys here. And another thing that's frustrating is there's two people in my art class that speak perfect Japanese (better than their English), but they're both Korean, so even though I'm more comfortable with them, I can't interview them. It's not even the fact that I would have to do this in Japanese. Even in high school, I always hated it when teachers assigned us surveys to take on random people.
Oh, and in art class, apparently I have to buy ANOTHER sketchbook. I'm getting sick of getting sketchbooks. I have about a million incomplete ones already, Akimoto sensei is really picky about the size we have to have. (We have to bring it around with us everywhere, but it has to be big enough to have a good drawing.) I got in a minor argument with her because I told her I wouldn't bring such a bulky sketchbook around with me, and it's already a pain bringing my shoulder bag everywhere...the size of sketchbook she wants us to have is too big to put in my bag. I'm going for the smallest she'll allow, which is roughly 8x11, and I can get a cheap one at Seiyu. *sighs* This is why I'm glad I'm not an art major.
The ride home was...exhausting, haha. Again, it took an hour, which is a good thing, because I felt like it was taking a lot longer. Halfway home, it started sprinkling, and it really hurt my face and eyes whenever it got in them...and then I noticed that there was white stuff on my bag (which was in the basket)...it was sleeting! -_-' Luckily I had on my hat, scarf, gloves, and leather coat, so other than my face, I wasn't really cold. But I was really tired by the time I got home, and then I was starving, so I had some instant soup. I wanted to take a hot bath, but it's too late, so I'll probably just go to bed early.
Monday, January 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Well like any other place, people have the right of pass on sidewalks and streets.
You can do it! I know it will be intimidating but its not impossible. New place, have to be a new you, ne?
Its just part of uni life, one must do what we must do. I know it must be a pain to buy another stuff (I had to buy another pair of ballet shoes because they weren't the pink Ms. White wanted)
Wow commuting in Tokyo must really suck!! But you will be so healthy if you ride 2 hours a day <3
>_> I love Japanese people but they DONT MOVE... maybe its just me but if I see someone OBVIOUSLY trying to get past me I move outta the way... the people in Japan I encountered NEVER did haha.. such trouble.
Br careful riding your bike!! There are some crazy bikers out there! I ran into an old man once >_< so scary!
You have to interview random people? that super sucks! XD I always had random Japanese students who asked to inteview me >_> but at least the things you need to ask are not TOO hard.. you should just hand people the papers to fill out XDD
Welcome to the world of bicycle commuting! If you have to ride in wet weather, make sure you wipe off your bike when you get it home, so it doesn't get rusty. Where do you store it when your aren't riding? Do you use your bell to alert people to get out of the way, or is that considered impolite?
Post a Comment