Wednesday, January 23, 2008

It's Snowing, it's Snowing

Today, soon after waking up, Emily and I turned the tv on, and the news was showing snow falling in some city. We thought, "Oh, it must be New York City." But then we both realized at the same time that it said "Tokyo LIVE" on the top, and after a second of going, "WHAT?" we opened the curtains. It was snowing!! Hahaha, and I'd been wishing it would snow just the other day. The news was making a huge deal about the snow, and I was wondering why, until later during my Practical Asian Society and Culture class, when I was talking to some guy named Katsuya, and when I asked him if it was the first snow of the season, he said, "Yeah, in three years." O.O Three years? Maybe he meant it's been three years since the snow has stuck to the ground? I feel like three years is too long for there to have been no snow at all. (Mi-chan, is that true??)


Anyway, my happiness about the snow kind of died when I turned my computer on and found out that Heath Ledger died. I just...I'm having a hard time believing it. I really liked him, since he picked such good movies to be in, instead of selling out like most actors. Frequently when actors have early deaths, I'm not surprised, but with Heath Ledger, I was shocked. When I got to school, some people were talking about him in the cafeteria, and then at least five people (all Americans) had no idea who Heath Ledger was. I thought he was more popular than that, but maybe not. It's going to be really, really weird watching him in Dark Knight when the movie comes out.
It snowed most of the day, and then by the evening it turned into rain sprinkles. Not very exciting. I spent the entire day indoors, and there's not much to tell other than that. I really need to buy rainboots. And get tissues. I was hoping that I could just survive off of the free tissues people give out when advertizing for stores, but apparently the people handing them out are slightly biased, because they don't like giving them to foreigners. (Emily still gets them if she's not swarmed by us, since they don't realize she's a foreigner.) But I've actually had one of them holding it out right in front of me, and as I reached for it, they took it away and handed it to someone else. Oh well. Guess I just have to pay for tissues, now. The only problem is that
the grocery store ONLY sells food, so I have to rely on Seiyu to buy other things...and they close before I get home on days that I have drawing...and the other days I'm usually too busy to go out shopping.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha eventually the people handing out things will annoy you enough that you will have to challenge them!!! If you just stand there with your hands out they eventually give you something XDD I got all mad about it and started getting EVERY ad just on principle(tho honestly I guess it makes sense to not give ads to people they assume dont even live there... esp in tokyo)

YAY SNOW!!! I think it is pretty rare for it to snow in Tokyo.. it NEVER snows in chiba >_< lucky..

Susannna said...

Wow, I didn't know that it snowed in Japan! (Even every three years. Which is probably just me being ignorant.) Coincidentally (I think, I mean, maybe there's some weather conspiracy going on) it snowed a few days ago in the mountains above where I live. It also made the news. And then there was that snow in Georgia. Strange. . . (cue X-Files music.)What happened to global warming?
Susanna (I never actually use this account)

Anonymous said...

Actually its not that rare that it snows in tokyo. Is not like it snows every year but it does snow from time to time. I think 3 years its right since it was 3 years ago I went snowboarding. I remember I showed you the baby and mother moster pic around that time. It does snow in japan, we are an island but we aren't in a tropical area

Hahaha they attacked you too?! After so many years livign with it, I have learn the ways to skip them XD you will learn too

Anonymous said...

and it's been so cold here, that it snowed for a good 10 secs! wow, that's a lot of nothing. i want spring already.
My roommate went crazy w/ Heath Ledger. I heard on the news that he became so part of the role for the joker that he was going a little mental. ~shrugs~ why else would he overdose, he's so young. I've only seen one movie with him I think. That was the Patriot. I liked it too.

Anonymous said...

The snow looks really beautiful (*w*)~ I kind of was shocked that it hasn't snowed in Japan for three years I didn't even know that.

So what is Seiyu is that like Walmart? XD;;