Tuesday, January 15, 2008

First Day of Class

There was a really terrifying guy on tv just now. He was a guest with Tackey (from Tackey and Tsubasa), on some variety show, and he had bleached blond hair, pale make-up, dark eyeshadow like a vampire, and blue contacts with white stars in the middle that made it EXTREMELY difficult to look at him without being uncomfortable. It looked like he was possessed.

On the subject of celebrities...I realized at lunch today in the cafeteria that Eiji Wentz's face is on our Chicken, French fries and hot dog vending machine (it's frozen food that you microwave). I thought it was his face when I was sitting there, but I wasn't about to get up just to check, lol. Then this evening, I remembered and told Emily, and she confirmed it for me, since she'd seen it, too. I think that's fantastic and both amusing.

Just having one class today (but spending a good part of the day in Azabu Hall), I noticed a lot of things. First of all, nearly all of the Japanese girls wore ridiculously high heels. It was kind of scary. The few I actually talked to during my Japanese Art class seemed pretty nice, though very quiet. The guys, too, dressed like Asian celebrities. (I only say "Asian" here because there's a definite difference between the way male Western celebrities dress and male Asian celebrities dress.) So many of them had styled hair, fur collars on their coats, earrings, pointy-toed shoes to make their feet look longer (I don't understand the attraction of that, honestly), and super-super trendy clothing. Britney and I got stuck walking behind two guys on our way to campus this morning, and one was really dressed up in the above-mentioned fashion, whereas the other had styled hair and more casual clothes. Britney was enjoying herself quite a bit, but I can't stand walking behind such slow people, so when the sidewalk finally widened, I walked past them so I could walk at a normal pace.

Anyway, today was just a mess, other than when I was sitting in class. All of the technology problems that could screw up screwed up, so I didn't get my TUJ ID until this afternoon when Maki secretly pulled Emily and Tamaria and I aside and said she could do our IDs since the system finally started working again...and we were the only ones still hanging around. I also had to change my Japanese Art class (listed under "Art History") so it was listed under "Asian Studies" since I didn't realize that the label mattered...since there's only one choice at Marlboro per class. I probably won't be able to even apply for my Alien registration until Thursday, because it takes forever to get to the Ward office and then get all the forms filled out, and there aren't exactly English-speaking people helping you, ironic as that may seem. I can't risk going between classes tomorrow, and I don't get out of class until 8:30pm.

My Japanese Art class shouldn't be too bad. The reading is completely ridiculous. 20-50 page per week, a 2-3 page paper due Feb. 5, two tests, an 8-10 page research paper due April 3, and then a take-home final exam that is 6-7 pages and due the day of the exam. There are two weekend-day field trips, one to a museum in Roppongi, and one in Ueno, neither which conflict with things I want to do, luckily! (Like the Laruku live I want to go to if I can ever acquire a ticket.) The weird thing about the professor is that her name is Carol...and she reminds me of Carol Hendrickson at Marlboro, in the way she talks and sounds, her mannerisms, and even the way she looks except her hair and face. It was kind of disorienting.

One thing I noticed during class was that the director guy (I don't remember his name or what his title is, but he talked to us during orientation) was absolutely right about the Japanese students holding back from raising their hands and talking in class. When I first got to class, I sat down next to one Japanese girl, and introduce myself. We talked a little before class started, and then another Japanese girl sat down on my other side (her friend had been saving her a seat). During class, whenever people raised their hands to answer questions, it was always an American student, except for once when this very forward Japanese guy answered a question. Then toward the end of class we separated into groups of four to answer the question, "Why do we decorate things?" and after a long, awkward silence I started talking, since I hate it when no one talks in the group I'm in. (This always happens at Marlboro, too, and I just don't understand why.) I managed to get them to talk a little bit after forcing another awkward silence after asking them a question. *dies* Also, one thing that surprised me is that the "participation" grade for the class doesn't have anything to do with whether you talk or not, but whether you are active in the class and you particpate when split into groups. I'm pretty sure the professor was directing that at the Japanese students.

Here's to hoping I can get my stupid alien registration card and Japanese health insurance before the 14-day deadline. I need a cell phone badly, not to mention a bike would be so, so useful. Tomorrow I can register for the trips, though. (I think.)

How's everyone doing? I have to admit that I don't really miss home yet. <.< Am I supposed to? Because I really don't. Not even the limited amount of food I've been able to get have made me want home-cooked Mommy meals yet. *laughs* I love it here, and I noticed that I already refer to the apartment as home when I'm in Minato-ku and saying, "When we get home..."

OH! We were visited by a Jehovah's Witness this evening! It was so awkward and scary! How in the world are you supposed to be polite to the Japanese woman and still be like, "Sorry, not interested!" If I was home, I just would turn around and shut the door in their face. Gaaah. Let's just hope she doesn't come again, and if she does, I'm going to tell Masa and see if he knows what to do about it.

(PS - Sorry, I've noticed I have a tendency to write a lot. I can't help it.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no problem with you not missing home (or mommy meals). This is your adventure!

The cats have been fighting and Eclipse has been barfing because he's been eating my birthday flowers - that's what you're missing.

Anonymous said...

OMG the jehovahs got you ALREADY!!! you must look like even more of a heathen than I did!!! They are all so nice tho >_>

Its ok to not miss home... honestly I NEVER ended up missing home per se.. just some elements of it like food and my dog... you'll be home soon enuff anyways so just enjoy every second you get there ^_^

I hope you can get alien registration and everything done.. its a little scary but honestly you just sit there and they ask you to confirm your name and then to sign something and thats IT.. I imagine the ward office in Tokyo is much more crowded tho >_<

Keep writing alot!! I like reading your entries!!

Anonymous said...

Its a cultural thing. We tend not to speak a lot during lectures because if you do a lot, people will think you are just trying to show off that you know it and they don't. Even in Todai were is highly competitive, People didn't talked in class.

Eiji was on the bottom of my plate, he was under my soup!

Yep we are a high heel nation. I think you heard my story or me buying the 6 inch red pumps and hitting my head with the hanging lights! but it was so worth it

Anonymous said...

Have you tried looking at this for a cellphone for meantime? http://www.jcrcorp.com/plans/cellular_rental_plans_main.htm

Your first day was interesting and again I'm amused on the way you describe the guys that are always dressed XD;;

Anonymous said...

i don't know why you'd miss home! i only miss it when it's close to a vacation break after finals or midterms b/c of all the work. plus the food sucks. But i will say this. After break the food improved dramatically, although not to the point of comparing to homemade cooking.
There's so much to do to think about anything else. how is it in class? do you get everything the teachers are telling you? or should i ask first...is it conducted in Jp only?