I'm so glad I didn't back out of the Kamakura trip. I almost did, since this morning I was exhausted when I woke up at eight and then discovered that I had to leave in less than an hour, and it was cold and wet and generally unpleasant. Plus, I still had a bit of the shivers from last night (it started raining when I was halfway home on my bike) even though I had taken a hot bath, so even though it wasn't that cold, I had to wear my hat because as soon as I took it off I'd start getting really cold, and I just wasn't very happy. However...(haha, and I just remembered how Keylock was telling us how much he hates that word...wow the things you remember) the weather started clearing up and warming up, so I was able to take my hat off for several hours.
Anyway, Kamakura was awesome. Even though I hadn't signed up on the trip (and neither had Cecelia or Big Steve), but Joshua wrote down our names on the sheet so he could keep track of us. Kamakura is supposedly 55 minutes travel time away from Jiyugaoka Station, but I'm not sure that's how long it took us, since we took the express to Yokohama and then accidentally didn't get on the train (JR) when it was right in front of us (my fault), and then had to wait ten minutes for the next one. But I saw the mountains! On the way down to Kamakura, I was staring out the window, and I could see big mountains with snowcaps and everything! I don't think I saw Fuji, though. I'll see Fuji before I leave here, I promise. Anyway, Emily had fallen asleep on the train, and I had to wake her up when it got to Kamakura, lol. I had almost fallen asleep, I think. Ten is way too early to be out. -_-'
I had an expensive lunch because it was so hard to find cheap but good places (without resorting to McDonald's). I have no clue what the restuarant's name was, but my lunch was 1800 yen. I had tempura seafood and vegetables over rice, miso soup, and some kind of weird tofu (?) pudding that made me sick with the first spoonful, so I didn't eat it. There was a huge piece of unagi tempura (yaaaaaayy eel again!...is it bad to eat it so frequently?) and two giant pieces of shrimp, one broccoli, a green pepper, a strip of sweet potato (gross), some kind of white fish, and...I think that's it? I got SO full and wasn't able to finish it all no matter how much I tried to and wanted to. Oh, and I almost forgot. They were playing weird koto/shamisen versions of L'Arc-en-Ciel music! The one I recognized first was 'My heart draws a dream,' hahaha.
After eating, we met up with everyone again and walked to Hachimangu Shrine. Here's some (er...a lot of?) pictures.
This is where you purify yourself before going up and praying and all that jazz. Since I forgot to purify myself when I went to the Meiji Shrine, I did this time, freezing my fingers off in the process, but at least I carry around a hand towel all the time, haha.
An awesome leaning tree...being held up by poles! Behind it is a beautiful, beautiful building.
This picture really, really doesn't do this building justice. It was just naked wood, unstained, unpainted...and it was gorgeous. Unfortunately, the only way I would have been able to get a good picture is if I were to step back about ten steps...over a hill and into the middle of a pond. And since that wasn't happening, I only got this picture (and two other angles that I won't bother posting here).
Not the most spectacular of photos, but when I was standing at the top of the steps, I realized that I could see all the way down the street we had walked along to get to the shrine.
All right, what is it with Japanese trees having weird growths and...dripping bark?! I don't know about you, but that just looks really gross to me.
Looking up the steps from the bottom.
Oh, oh, funny story! Here...I was attacked by PIGEONS! There were pigeons everywhere, and then some little boy scared a bunch of pigeons, and they came flying toward us. I was lifting my camera up to get a video, but just before I could press the button, a pigeon clawed my hand! I was so shocked that it had actually tried to land on my hand that I ran to get away from the pigeons. So unfortunately I don't have any photographic evidence, lol.
This...is the coolest tree ever. Or one of the coolest trees ever.
The Giant Buddha! Apparently it's lasted through a tsunami and a huge earthquake. I went inside it, too. Very cool, very cool. I also must say...I was a huge victim of the Tourist Trap today, because in addition to buying postcards, I also bought a buddha keychain for good health, a phonecharm buddha (with wings?! it was so cute I couldn't resist) and a little glass laser figurine of the buddha. Also, when we were leaving, the four of us bought sakura soft serve ice cream. Aaah, it's SO good! I didn't think I was going to like it, but it sounded too pretty to not try. It was like eating flowers...only not. It's better than any ice cream...except maybe matcha. OH! They would taste so good together! Somebody's getting ideas....
Then we went to some pretty garden place.
Sakura!!!
Aren't these the cutest things ever? I don't know what they're for, though.
And now we get to one of the best things of the day. I was climbing up the steps to find people (since I got separated when I went to look at carp and then went into a cave), and suddenly I saw the ocean through the trees. Needless to say, I completely bypassed the shrine building and headed straight for the platform for looking over the bay. Aaah. I was in heaven! I want to live here. I could stare forever.
Our whole group walked down to the beach (it looks far, but it was only a few blocks, haha. Maybe a ten minute walk at most.) Here's seaweed drying on racks.
And the waaaterr yay. I just wish it was warmer. By this point in the afternoon, I was back to my shivery self. I found an awesome rock for Mom ^_^ and three barnacles stuck together! They're really cool looking.
Having a day off in the middle of the week is both wonderful...and sucks, because then you have to go back to school. At least we'll get a four day weekend in two weeks. (Which reminds me...Mommy, Daddy, I officially request Easter goodies~! Don't let me down!) I think we're going to the Ghibli Museum on Easter, but I'm not sure. When Big Steve went to get tickets, the day we wanted (the 15th) was sold out. It's going to be difficult to plan things soon, since nearly everyone's families are coming this month to visit.

1 comment:
beautiful pictures, the roof tops made me think of Memoirs of a Geisha when Chiyo climbs to the top to pour out the water and she wants to find her sister.
do you know the name of the garden you visited or that building? Is it a public building?
Post a Comment