Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Preparing to leave


The depressing site of my luggage. I pulled it out last night, and started packing up all of the gifts and souvenirs I've accumulated. I expanded the blue suitcase to its limit so I can fit things into it. So far it seems to be working well, since I'm putting together as many things as possible and taking advantage of any boxes that I can use to protect things while at the same time fitting odd shaped items better into my suitcase. I think the only thing I'm worried about breaking is my matcha container and wisk, even though they are in their own little boxes. I also discovered that my sketchbooks will fit into my blue suitcase, just barely. I just have to make sure the lower level is flat, so they can rest on the top and not get bent.

I'm a little pissed off because I really wanted to go do more things these last few days, but my foot has been hurting too much to let me go somewhere that involves a lot of walking. (AKA anywhere worth going.) Today I had to go to school for my Japanese final oral exam (which, by the way, I completely messed up, because I kept forgetting what I was supposed to be talking about), and then Evan and I walked to Miyako Hotel so we could both reserve seats on the bus for Friday. Even though he carried my super-heavy portfolio to take at least a little strain off of me, just walking the fifteen-or-so minutes to the hotel really hurt. I was going to meet Emily in Harajuku to get one or two last things and eat at the stone bowl ramen place, but I ended up not going. Luckily I still have my bike until tomorrow, so I can use that to get around in Jiyuugaoka. One good thing, though. I found out that Evan has a flight at 11am on Friday, too, so we're going to share a taxi to Miyako. Which means that's 1500 yen less that I have to pay.

Tomorrow I'm going to force myself to suck it up so Emily and I can go to Ikebukuro, to go to Sunshine City. I'm a little disappointed that I won't get to see Shinjuku's kabuki-cho, lol, since I have to get back before dinner time tomorrow. And no, I'm not talking about kabuki theater. Kabuki-cho is the red light district...where a ton of host clubs are.

Emily went there a week or two ago with Brian, and she said it was so crazy how there were the host guys outside trying to get women to come to their clubs, and there were bright, glittery posters and billboards everywhere. She told me she stuck close to Brian when they were walking by the hosts, so they wouldn't try to target her, hahaha. Nothing like a tall, heavily bearded gaijin man to scare off the pretty boys. XD I had wanted to talk about those kinds of things at my presentation, since it's not just in kabuki-cho that there's host clubs. We get fliers from the guys all the time in Shibuya, too. Brittany and I were even accosted by a host club targeted for foreigners, so all the hosts (or "butlers" in this case) were foreigners. But the point is, I don't have any pictures to show, so I wanted to take pictures so people have a better idea of what I'm talking about. Wow...I just found this article by TIME, and it's really interesting, but I couldn't stop laughing for most of it, because I could picture a lot of what they were talking about. http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,193635,00.html

Okay, I'm starving, so time to find some dinner...and continue packing and cleaning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to do a "last day" post!

Anonymous said...

My! You are so going to miss the hyde look alike in aqua but well, that could be other time. Aside from the fact he is pretty expensive.

In the contrary, I'm not a bit depressed about almost going home. Hvae you thought about mailing some of the stuff over there. I'm going to mail home some stuff I really don't want it to die in the flight

I hope the post comes out alright since I have to post from a psp