Monday, April 14, 2008

Last Day of Classes

Today I got permission to put up the fliers I made for selling my and Brittany's bikes, and even though they mysteriously disappeared by four thirty (when I got out of class), it looks like we have two people who will buy them. One girl, Kelly, happens to be in my Japanese Art class, and she wants to buy my bike, and she has a friend who will probably buy Brittany's bike. It's too bad we had to settle for 5000 yen (half of what I paid for it), but I honestly just want to get it off my hands before going home, and it's already saved me money rather than taking the bus. I'm still getting some of it back, so it'll be like I only spent 5000 yen (plus the bad weather days and the first month of not having a bike, so about 10000 yen?) on transportation to school instead of 31500 yen. XD Pretty good, I'd have to say. It's better than the bus pass everyone else got, which only saved around 10000 for the semester, I think it was. The only thing we have to figure out now is getting the registration changed to the new owners' names, so they don't get arrested. XD

On less exciting news...the art exhibition was today (accidentally wrote "toady" but that seems to work, too ^_~), and it was wayyyy boring. They didn't even put up the drawings I wanted them to put up. -_-' Also, I was supposed to meet Yumika there, and show her my art, but I forgot to email her until this morning, so I didn't even know if she was coming. Then I found out I didn't have to stay the full three hours (THANK YOU), and then Brittany dragged me away by five thirty (as she said, there were "way too many boobs," HAHAHA). As soon as I got home, I emailed Yumika, and found out that not only had she gone, but she hadn't known which drawings were mine. Blaaah I felt so bad. She asked me if I could send pictures to her, so I promised to send her pictures as soon as I get all of my drawings back on the 23rd.

Oh, nearly forgot. Late last night, I was watching a weird Japanese horror movie called "Fu-rai" (怖来)...which was translated as "Junk" in the subtitles, but if I look up the kanji, "fu" means to feel scared/apprehensive, whereas "rai" means...well, I can't figure out what it means because my dictionary won't tell me outright...I think it's a suffix or something...and I think it has to do with time, but I'm not sure. ANYWAY, I'm not sure I understand why the title is translated as "Junk," because although it would make sense if it was talking about expendables, having "fu" mean to be scared, kind of kills that. Also...maybe I'm looking into things too much, but if it's also supposed to be a pun on "furai" (fry)...it would totally make sense with the movie's ending.

Okay, I've gotten way off the point of why I even brought up the movie here. XD It was an okay movie, for a horror movie. It wasn't very scary, though. The only parts where I got nervous were when it was dark, when there was a needle, and when there was one of those super strong/thin wires that cuts anything. It was interesting to watch, though pretty gross in the end, but none of it made sense if you really thought about it. The basics of the movie was that four people (three men and one woman) woke up naked in a room full of white powder, and had no idea why they were there. One guy was Korean who spoke somewhat okay Japanese, the other three people were Japanese. Every once in a while white-suited (like in a dangerous chemical lab) people came in and force-fed them some kind of liquid that we later find out is beer. The prisoners vomit it up nearly every time, and they start working together to escape. It's only when they escape do things start getting scarier, though. I don't feel like summarizing the whole movie, but I will ruin the ending; they all die. Yes, even the cute guy. He has the most exciting death, though, and breaks the microwave that they're all in.

But back to the topic of subtitles. (When was I ever on that subject, anyway?) The movie was online, and therefore was subbed without giving me the option of watching without, so it's not like I couldn't not cheat. But I was listening very carefully to the Japanese, and there was one scene that sticks out in my mind because I understood everything they were saying, but the subtitles didn't match what I was hearing. The scene was of the Japanese guys and the Korean guy arguing because the Korean guy was trying to be nice and caring, but the Ken (the cute guy) got really angry because he didn't trust anyone and shouted at him, "You're not my friend!" but the subtitles had him saying, "Fuck off!" I suppose that works with the scene, but it bothers me that it really wasn't what he was saying. There were other parts, too, but I forget them now. Whenever instances like this come up, I always don't know whether to doubt my own Japanese capabilities...since I obviously don't know very much...or doubt the subtitles. -_-'

Btw, even though the movie didn't scare me, and I kind of enjoyed watching it to see the characters' reactions to things, later when I was half-asleep, I heard a crash in the kitchen, and it freaked me out. I didn't get up to see what it was, and I didn't know if Emily was still awake, so I didn't say anything. I also started hearing the clock ticking in the kitchen, though it took me a while to realize it was the clock...and not something else. XD In the morning, though I asked her if she had heard something in the kitchen, and she said that her bread had fallen off of the shelf and fell into the sink, where she found it when she woke up. I don't know how it fell by itself, though. XD

Tomorrow's a Reading/Study Day.....I think I might have to actually do work, though. Stupid final essays. Though I really shouldn't complain, since one is only 2-3 pages and one is 6 pages. And my Japanese take-home final (due next week) is only three pages plus my three-minute oral presentation that I have to prepare. I'm going to talk about my plans for the summer...and hope that I get all of the particles/conjugations right. -_-' I hope, though, that I can go to Asakusa on Wednesday to do some souvenir shopping.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally getting around to commenting (been doing spring cleaning in anticipation of the return of the prodigal daughters - joke - though not the cleaning).

The line about the most exciting death cracked me up.
Don't they know the rules? The cute guy never dies.

Anonymous said...

I think the movie its called junk because well, it was junk, I think XD

You know you are going to die in a japanese movie because you are left all alone! Seriously, unless is mass suicide, no one dies in groups

I don't want to sell my bike but maybe I will, the concert was pretty expensive T.T But.. but... it has cute silver stars on a pink background!